Background of Department of FIsheries
Fisheries management by the Thai government began in 1901, when the steady supply of fish was supervised for local consumption and export, and taxes and tariffs collected. A royal pronunciation on 22 September 1921 gave the Ministry of Lands and Agriculture responsibility for aquaculture, preservation of aquatic animals, and providing recommendations on the types of fishing equipment that could be used.
A Department of Aquatic Animal Conservation was established on 21 September 1926. It was renamed the Department of Fisheries (DoF) in 1933, then combined with the Department of Agriculture as the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries. Two years later, it was again made a separate department. In 1954 its Thai name was changed slightly from “Krom Kan Pramong” to what it remains today, “Krom Pramong.”
In addition to its central administrative offices, it has central Fishery Offices. In 1975, the DoF was reorganized to reflect the important and multifaceted role of fisheries in the country’s economy. Its central functional divisions were expanded to Conservation and Extension, Freshwater Fisheries, Brackish Water Fisheries, Marine Fisheries, Food Technology Development and Exploratory Fishing.
Since 2016, recognizing the importance of responsible and sustainable fisheries, DoF, as a Competent Authority (CA) have been undergoing an organizational restructure programme so that its internal structure corresponds directly with the needs of the Fisheries Act (2015). In this way, DoF will be better equipped to tackle IUU Fishing. This restructuring which was announced via Ministerial Regulations in May 2016, involves both central and local administrations. The central administration is currently composed of 24 units – 2 of which report directly to the Director General. The local administration consists of 76 offices in very provinces across the country and 527 Fisheries District Office.